In various corners of the world, storm patterns differ. From tornadoes that sweep through some regions to the more prevalent hailstorms and hurricanes in others, our homes’ exteriors, particularly the rooftops, bear the brunt of Mother Nature’s fury. Yet, the aftermath of a storm often leaves homeowners perplexed and unaware of the next steps. Dive into our comprehensive guide to understand post-storm actions and evaluate the damage to your roof.
Post-Storm Actions: The Initial Steps
After a significant storm, you may be left dazed, wondering about the extent of potential damage. Understanding the myriad types of roof storm damage equips you to map out the subsequent maintenance and repair strategies efficiently.
Cataloging the Culprits: Types of Storms & Their Damages
- Wind Storms: Winds gusting at 40 mph or higher bring about visible detriments to your roofing. They can rip apart shingles, exposing the roof deck to subsequent damages. The ferocity of the wind and even its direction can determine the scale of havoc it wreaks. If followed by rain, the consequences can be magnified.
- Hail Storms: Though short-lived, hail storms can deliver a punch. Their ferocity can compromise the integrity of shingles, specifically targeting granules that shield against rain and UV rays. Additionally, they can scar and dent, diminishing the aesthetic appeal of your roof.
- Water Retention: Post-rainstorm, stagnant water on roofs can herald the onset of problems. Uneven roofs or blocked gutters can exacerbate this issue. Persistent moisture can deteriorate shingles and eventually infiltrate the roof deck, potentially compromising its structure.
- Debris Accumulation: Storm aftermath often means a rooftop littered with debris: leaves, twigs, and remnants of shingles. This debris not only traps moisture but can also become a haven for pests.
Harnessing Expertise: Engaging a Roof Inspector
While you can conduct a preliminary check, having a professional roofer assess the situation can offer precision. Here’s a guide for your preliminary examination:
- Roof Overview: A simple visual survey can reveal glaring issues. Document discrepancies such as missing shingles or dents, as this can aid in insurance claims.
- Gutters & Vents: Ensure that roof gutters and vents remain intact post-storm.
- Windows & Exteriors: Windows often bear the storm’s brunt, and signs of damage are evident in shattered glass or fractures.
- Indoor Signs: A roof may seem impeccable externally, but hidden damages could cause leaks. Regularly inspect ceilings and attics for water stains or marks indicating seepage.
Engaging a Reputable Roofing Contractor
While storms might usher in a surge of attractive offers from roofing contractors, it’s paramount to select a proficient and trustworthy one. They should be well-versed in gauging the extent of damage, estimating repair costs, and advising on whether a replacement or mere repair would suffice.
Contractor Dialogue: Points of Discussion
When engaging with a potential contractor, ascertain their credentials. Inquire about licenses, insurance, and warranties. Reviews on their website or social platforms can offer insight into their expertise and service quality.
Collaborating with Your Insurance Provider
Promptly involve your insurance provider when significant damage is evident. Armed with documentation like photographs or videos of the damage and the inspector’s report, the claim process can be smoother. Remember, insurance companies often deploy their inspectors to assess the damages.
Spotlight on Gold Key Roofing
With an extensive team of certified professionals, Gold Key Roofing stands out as a beacon of reliability and quality. Our commitment to providing stellar protection for your homes has been unwavering since 1975. In a fluctuating industry, our longstanding service record embodies our dedication to excellence.
Weathering storms is a part of life. But with the right guidance and timely actions, you can ensure your home remains a sanctuary, no matter the intensity of the storm.
Roofing Services Offered in Orlando and surrounding Central Florida Areas:
|Residential Roof Repair||Roof Cleaning|
|Residential Roof Replacement||Roof Claims Assistance|
|Commercial Roof Repair||Blown-In Insulation|
|Commercial Roof Replacement||Roof Repair Orlando|
|Orlando Roofing Contractor||The Villages FL Roofing Contractor|